The long way to empower people to control technology
For DFD in 2017, ANSOL invited Matthias Kirschner, president of Free Software Foundation Europe, to be in Lisbon to do a presentation called "The long way to empower people to control technology".
Software is deeply involved in all aspects of our lives. It is important that this technology empowers rather than restricts us. Free Software gives everybody the rights to use, understand, adapt and share software. These rights help support other fundamental rights like freedom of speech, freedom of press and privacy.
The Free Software Foundation Europe is a charity that empowers users to control technology by:
- Helping individuals and organizations to understand how Free Software contributes to freedom, transparency, and self-determination.
- Enhancing users' rights by abolishing barriers to Free Software adoption.
- Encouraging people to use and develop Free Software.
- Providing resources to enable everyone to further promote Free Software in Europe.
In this talk Matthias will talk about how he joined the FSFE, highlight the importance of Free Software for society, give some examples of the FSFE's work from the past 15 years, and show how you as individual or organisation can work with us the FSFE and its local associate ANSOL for software freedom. This talk, presented in English, is followed by a Q&A session you'll be invited to participate in, and in there we will cover typical misunderstandings surounding Free Software.
This event is kindly supported by MOSS, the Open Source Masters programme in ISCTE, and ISCTE's ACM Student Chapter.
After the event there's going to be a dinner party for those interested, to which you'll have to make a reservation, via e-mail, to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Date: 28 March 2017 - 18:00 to 20:00
- Location: Auditório JJ Laginha, ISCTE, Lisboa
- Dinner: 20:00 forward, details delivered in-loco at the end of the presention
Official website: https://ansol.org/FSFE-palestra